Sunday 16 May 2010

Speed work

Earlier today I completed the Oxford Town&Gown 10k in a very pleasing time of 44:10. The race was everything I expected; the route mirrored much of my training runs and the tempo was high from the very first step. This made for a difficult race, with my chest tight throughout and no respite until the finish. This is what 10k is all about; if you're not feeling the burn, you simply aren't going fast enough. This presents a fundamentally different challenge to even the half-marathon, where one looks to maintain a decent but comfortable pace.

I've not done much speed work in recent months, aside from some intense sessions on the rowing machine. I'm not keen on pushing myself to the limit of extreme torture, where running becomes a chore. I passed that phase months ago and recognised the beauty of distance running. Still, to break my target of 45 minutes at the first time of asking leads me to wonder just how far I can continue to push my 10k time down. Today's effort was sterling, but far from perfect, with some slow kilometres towards the end.

For now the focus must remain with getting through my last big race of the season; the Coventry half-marathon next Sunday. I was already feeling a little stretched, but after the intense race today I feel almost broken. Almost, but not quite. I may just have a big race left in me and today's performance gives me confidence in setting a good time next week.

I've attempted one of each of the four main distances (10k, half-marathon, kilomathon and full marathon) but now I will embrace the challenge of beating a PB. Since the Birmingham half remains my most clinical performance, I am more hopeful than expectant, but it is the last race of the season, on home turf. Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment